Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Big Hurt

Regular readers of the Update know that Frank Thomas is my favorite player. So it was a labor of love when I wrote a letter to the editor of Sports Illustrated pointing out that the start of Frank's career matched -- for an even longer period of time -- that of Albert Pujols, whom the magazine was raving about. After SI published the letter, the Big Hurt's representative called me to say that he'd read the letter and was going to send me an autographed baseball in appreciation. Well, the ball just arrived, and Frank didn't just autograph it; he took the time to write the following: "To Chuck Hadden, Thanks for everything, Frank Thomas #35, 93 94 ALMVP." Needless to say, I'm thrilled and feel like it's I who should thank him for everything he's done. We've all enjoyed following his exploits for the past 16 seasons with the Sox and even this year with Oakland.

As I've written before, there's no doubt in my mind that he should wind up in the Hall of Fame. The man has 467 homers and 1511 RBIs and counting. He's got a .305 lifetime batting average, a .425 career on-base percentage, a .566 lifetime slugging percentage, and a .991 career OPS (on-base plus slugging). Frank's won two MVPs and was robbed of a third, he's won four silver slugger awards, and has been an All-Star five times. And no one has ever suggested that his muscles were the laboratory-manufactured kind. In an era of sluggers tainted by steriod allegations, he's been untouched by that scandal. In short, no one has ever done what he's done and not made the Hall of Fame. While I'm in no hurry to see him retire, I'm planning to be in Cooperstown five years later when he gets inducted. Maybe then he'll sign a ball for me that says "Frank Thomas HOF."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the best things about watching "the best right-handed pure hitter", as he's been described, is knowing that all of his bulk (and there's a LOT of it) is the old-fashioned weight room kind. Frank sat in front of me at the Bulls/Magic game Christmas evening the year after Jordan retired and I was amazed at the width of his shoulders and the overall size of the man.

It was a shame to see him leave in such an acrimonious manner, hinting (well, I guess not hinting, downright shouting it) that the club had somehow wronged him by not bringing him back. The Sox showed him so much respect and gratitude by carrying him last year, bum foot and all, having him throw out the first pitch at the I think the Boston ALDS game and dressing him and introducing him in the lineup at Game One of the World Series. It actually choked me up a bit, and to be there for those games last year was something special. Had Frank shown the class the organization showed him, I'm certain that when they unveiled the banners at Opening Day this year, we'd have seen Frank on the outfield wall along with Fox, Baines, et al.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Sherm Lollar said...

Mike, there are two sides to every story. We've heard the side that the Sox want us to hear. This is a hard one for me because I'm a fan of the team and of Frank. It's like watching your kids fight. You love them both and wish they'd get along.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home