Thursday, April 19, 2007

152

For much of the season, Sox fans have been saying, "Oh, no!" Last night, the fans were saying, "No-No!" after Mark Buehrle no-hit the Texas Rangers, 6-0, to pick up his first win of the season. The Mark of Zero faced the minimum 27 batters, giving up a walk to Sammy Sosa and then picking him off. In addition to the pickoff, Buehrle recorded 11 ground outs, seven fly outs, and eight strikeouts. He was aided by stellar defense, including gems from Joe Crede, Paul Konerko, Tad Iguchi, Jermaine Dye, and Juan Uribe. The Sox bats awoke despite the see-your-breath conditions, as Jim Thome swatted two home runs (numbers four and five on the season and numbers 476 and 477 for his career), and Jermaine Dye added a Grand Salami.
I was watching the game on MLB Extra Innings (best thing Sen. John Kerry ever did was get the ball rolling to keep the package on cable TV) and was talking to my Dad back in the Chicago area. It was only the third inning, but I told him that Buehrle had good stuff and he ought to be watching the game. I didn't call back to find out if he took my advice, but hope he got a chance to see it. Speaking of seeing a no-hitter, I remember being at Wrigley Field with my brother and sister when Ken Holtzman, a personal favorite despite his being a Cub, threw a no-hitter against the Braves. In the seventh inning, Hank Aaron hit a long fly that looked to us in the right-field bleachers like it was going to be a homer, but the wind held it in and Billy Williams jumped up to catch it against the wall. After Aaron also made the last out, the fans jumped the walls and rushed the field. I've always said that I would have too, but for having to watch out for my siblings, but the truth is, the jump was a little daunting. Watching Buehrle's no-hitter from the comfort of my couch wasn't as exciting, but I'll remember it for a while too.
The win, combined with Cleveland's loss, moves the Magic Number down to 152 and leaves the team 2.5 games back of the Twins in the A.L. Central race. Hopefully, it will be the spark that's needed to turn this season around. Go Sox!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home