Sunday, April 11, 2010

160

Lest you think I post only after a White Sox victory, let me explain the spotty publication lately.  Last Thursday and Friday, I was out of town on business and away from my computer.  (Posting by blackberry just doesn't cut it.)  And on Friday, my second grandson, Jackson Elliott Andrews, was born to daughter Allison and son-in-law Chas -- four weeks early, but healthy.  The back of his baseball card lists him at "6 lbs. 4 oz., 18", bats ? throws?"  Given his size, he's definitely a small ball kind of player.

And speaking of small ball, I have to point out that the only time the Sox have won this season is when they've hit multiple home runs in a game -- two on Opening Day (Konerko and Rios) and three in Sunday's game (Konerko 3rd, Kotsay 1st, and Beckham 1st).  On the other hand, the team is 0 for 4 when they have to manufacture runs.  They lost 5-3 in the second and third games, 4-3 in the fourth game, and 2-1 in the fifth game.

Like I said in the preview post, you can't play small ball if you can't get on base, and the Sox just aren't hitting -- yet.  Their team average of .203 is below the Mendoza line and dead last in the American League.  Five starters aren't even hitting .200: Teahen, .071; Pierre, .125; Kotsay, .154; Rios, .174; and Ramirez, .182.  Sorry if that bums you out, but it shouldn't hurt any more than the 2-4 record does.  (Also, sorry if I sound defensive about that preview post, but I took a lot of grief for telling it like I saw it.)  The good news is that there's plenty of time to turn things around.

The pitching did live up to predictions.  At 2.95, Sox pitchers have the second lowest ERA in the A.L., behind only the Blue Jays.  They've given up only one home run on the season, the lowest total in the league.  And Mark Buehle, after Sunday's win, is 2-0.

Finally, I did manage to squeeze in a game while traveling on business.  Update reader Mike Sehr invited yours truly to join him for Thurday night's game, an invitation I gladly accepted.  When I left D.C on Wednesday,  it was 90 degrees.  When I arrived in Chicago, it was 50 degrees cooler.  By game time on Thursday, it was in the 30s.  A huge corned beef sandwich at Manny's kept me warm for a while, and hot chocolate did the trick later, but folks, it hailed during the game, which was only better than the rain and snow we had earlier in the day.  By the way, Mike presciently called Carlos Quentin's home run before it happened.  Mike failed to predict that any other Sox would homer, so I attribute the 11-inning loss to him.  Thanks, Mike, and Go Sox! 

4 Comments:

Blogger dangerman said...

sherm - i agree that small ball isnt working well at all so far, but its best to give credit where its due: i believe it was the first inning , second game: pierre walked, stole 2nd and 3rd, and scored on a konerko sac fly. that is classic small ball, and they were winning that game - for a while....

11:23 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Congrats to you and your family on the new addition!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Sherm Lollar said...

Thanks, we're all very happy about the new roster addition.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Sherm Lollar said...

I'm not saying you won't ever score a run without a home run, and that inning IS a good example of small ball working. I am saying that the Sox play in a home run park, so they should construct their roster accordingly. If they played in Petco, where runs are hard to come by, I'd think differently about this.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home