Friday, December 24, 2010

Sox Trade Art Hadden to Angels

No, Art Hadden didn't play for the White Sox.  He was just a fan -- and my father.  But if he's going to be rooting for the Sox from this point on, it'll be as an Angel because he passed away this morning.

Lucky for me, I went to Chicago and visited with him two weeks ago at the nursing home he had just moved into.  We talked about a lot of things, but one of the topics that really caught his interest was my player-by-player evaluation of the Sox. 

Dad was excited about the prospect of Adam Dunn playing in the homer friendly Cell, and he was pleased that the Sox re-signed Paul Konerko.  He wasn't up on all the Hot Stove League happenings because in the moves from the hospital to the rehab center to the nursing home, he hadn't been able to lay his hands on the Sun-Times.  So, I was his source of information on all things White Sox.

It was one of the ways that he and I connected with each other.  Being as computer savvy as most 89 year olds, he wasn't able to read my blog online, so I used to read it to him over the phone.  He laughed at all the parts where I was trying to be funny and was suitably impressed whenever I trotted out statistics.  Just the way a proud father would act with his son.  That made it easy for me to do.

In fact, I doubt that he would have cared about the team nearly as much (or at least pretended to) if I weren't such a fan.  As a father myself, I totally understand -- and appreciate -- that.

Dad, I love you and I'll miss you.  And if you switch allegiances and start rooting for the Angels now, I guess I'll have to start rooting for the Halos, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Ring said...

Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. At least he got to see the '05 season. Hopefully this year will be a repeat of '05.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home